OK, it’s time for my top ten list. The top ten places I want to go fishing this year. These are places I love to go or new places I’ve yet to try. This year, I’m going to try to get away for an overnight trip or two but where will be determined later. We’ll see if I can’t check off the entire top ten this year, something I didn’t come close to last year. I only hope we get some snow and another big fire doesn’t keep me indoors for weeks on end or the fishing season might be pretty dismal.
So, here is the list:
- Twenty Lakes Basin – A chain of lakes near Yosemite and behind Saddlebag Lake. I’ve wanted to go here for years and never did it. You take a ferry across the lake which is sort of cool in itself.
- Cooney and Frog Lakes – This is another place I’ve wanted to get to but never have. Last year it was thwarted in part due to the Yosemite fire. These are up beyond Virginia Lakes and might become an overnight trip.
- Highland Lakes – These are drive to lakes off of Highway 4. These can be windy so I’ll need to set out early. Again, I might camp there (need to look into that possibility) and I’ll definitely bring the tube.
- The Owens Gorge – I’m probably stupid for attempting this with my back but what the hell. You only live once. This is the rugged, rattlesnake and trout filled canyon below Crowley but it’s small creek fishing at it’s best.
- Upper Owens River – I want to hit this either this spring or next fall during the spawn. It’s a spring creek that takes a lot of patience and stealth. I might get skunked hard but it will be fun.
- Milton Reservoir – Northwest of Truckee, this is a wild trout lake. I’ve been here many years ago. It’s small and scenic and being it’s about 2.5 hours from home, this might be a nice spot to spend a night it the wilderness.
- Mokelumne River, North Fork – Another water up Highway 4, the river is a small meadow stream here. A short hike will take you into the wilderness and a Jeep trail will take you up Deer Creek.
- Yuba River, North Fork – This is a roadside water but in some beautiful country with a lot of other waters to hit if the Yuba is slow. Again, over three hours from home so a possible overnight trip.
- Toiyabe Range – I gotta have one in Nevada, right? No specific location. Maybe Big Creek, Reese River, Peavine Creek, Kingston Creek or Groves Lake, all places from my childhood.
- Warmwater Fishing – I haven’t fished for bass and bluegill for years. I’m not sure where but I’ll do a little research and figure it out. I’ve got a few spots I’ve fished but I’d like to try something new.
So, that’s it, 2014′s Top Ten. A list will appear over to the left and I’ll add links to the reports as I check these off. Hopefully, by the time fishing season rolls around, I’ll have shaken this damned plague the boys brought home. I’m so over coughing and feeling worn out. I really do hate winter!
Filed under: General, On the Water, Outdoors | Tagged: 2014, Cooney Lake, Highland Lakes, Milton Reservoir, Mokelumne River, Owens Gorge, Toiyabe Range, top ten, Twenty Lakes Basin, Upper Owens River, warmwater, Yuba River | 2 Comments »